What is the Amazon Fire TV? Amazon Fire TV is a media streaming device that takes various types of media from the internet and moves that media to your television. A small box that has a lot of FireTV-power enabling you to enjoy just about anything you want on your tv.
What Type of Media and Which Media Sites Can I Use?
The most popular sites for viewing movies and your favorite tv shows are just a few clicks away with Amazon Fire TV. A few of the most popular are Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Pandora, iHeart Radio and of course Amazon Prime.
And Amazon Prime has recently gotten much better. Amazon and HBO recently reached an agreement to make HBO content available on Amazon Prime.
- All seasons of past shows such as “The Sopranos,” “The Wire,” “Deadwood,” “Rome,” and “Six Feet Under,” and more recent series such as “Eastbound & Down,” “Enlightened,” and “Flight of the Conchords”
- Miniseries, including “Angels in America,” “Band of Brothers,” “John Adams,” “The Pacific,” and “Parade’s End”
- Select seasons of current series such as “Boardwalk Empire,” “Treme,” and “True Blood”
Original movies like “Game Change,” “Too Big To Fail,” and “You Don’t Know Jack”
- Documentaries including the “Autopsy and Iceman” series, “Ghosts of Abu Ghraib,” and “When the Levees Broke”
- Original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK, and Bill Maher
read more at CNET
But that’s not all you can enjoy!
Photos and videos, all those precious memories, can be enjoyed through this streaming device. All the great home movies,photos and slide shows stored in the cloud are just a click away. Use your phone or tablet to take pictures, make a video, upload to Amazon Cloud Drive and almost instantly they are available on Fire TV.
And Then…there are the games.
Yep, over one hundred (100) games are currently available with this tv streaming device. Games from EA, Disney, Ubisoft and Amazon’s (brand new exclusive) own Amazon Game Studios. Many of the games are free, and you know what they say…”free is…free!”. And the average price of the paid games are $1.85.
Many of the games are playable with the remote control included with your purchase of Amazon Fire TV. Games can also be played with controllers such as the PlayPad Pro for Amazon Fire TV and the Amazon Fire Game Controller (sold separately). Amazon also says there will be thousands of additional games coming soon.
Is the FireTV Really for Me?
That’s really for you to decide. But let’s look at a few more facts about this Amazon video streaming device.
- Soon to come is Amazon Free Time, which will allow you, the parent, to control what your child can view while using FireTV and what games they are allowed to play. Customization in fonts and background colors just for the kids.
- It is Android based with the ability to use Apps.
- The interface is user friendly
- Largest memory of just about all the tv streaming devices available
- Personalized recommendations
- Content purchased from Amazon awaits you in your Video Library
- Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz
- Support for Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch Stereo and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1
- And last but certainly not least “Say it, watch it”. The remote included with your purchase has a built in mic so you can do a voice command search by games, genres, actors or for a particular (or your favorite) movie and tv show.
Amazon Fire TV just may be setting a new standard in streaming media.